Avilés one of the three major cities in the Principality of Asturias. Its old quarter has been declared a Historic- Site, containing great examples of civil and religious architecture. Much can be seen from the the pedestrian streets of Galiana and Rivero, Plaza de España with its City Hall, the old church of Sabugo, from the 13th century, and the modern Santo Tomás de Canterbury. Avilés can boast the palaces of Valdecarzana and Camposagrado and the Palacio Valdés theatre. The fishing dock of Virgen de las Mareas market auctions almost 70% of the fish caught in Asturias.
A recent addition to the Avilés landscape (or should it be moonscape) is the intriguing and unique Neimeyer Centre. The space age complex and final project of the Brazilian architect Oscar Neimeyer. The creation of this remarkable structure has involved many people including Woody Allen, Brad Pitt and Kevin Spacey.
The Niemeyer Centre is formed by five main elements that complement each other:
• The open square: a large open outdoor space for cultural activities. It reflects the Oscar Niemeyer’s idea of a place open to humankind.
• The auditorium: around 1000 seats for concerts, theatre, conferences It includes the Club (a small space for small concerts) and an exhibition room in the foyer.
• The dome: its the exhibitions building.
• The tower: sight-seeing tower, restaurant and cocktail lounge
• The multi-purpose building: Film Centre, meeting-rooms, cafe, shop, information point.